Above the village of Siusi, in the hamlet of San Valentino, there’s the eponymous church in front of the majestic Sciliar Massif.
Beneath the Siusi Alp and above the village of Siusi allo Sciliar (Seis am Schlern), there's the scattered settlement of San Valentino, which belongs to the municipal area of Castelrotto. Also a little church can be found there, located in the midst of beautiful meadows and fields at approx. 1,130 m a.s.l. It is known above all for the beautiful frescoes dating back to the 14th and 15th century - one of them depicts the Three Magi in the landscape of the Alpe di Siusi.
The St. Valentine Church was mentioned for the first time in 1244 AD - its steeple and the coupled windows indicate the 13th century. It was consecrated to Saint Valentine of Rome (San Valentino da Terni, in Italian), patron saint of lovers and name giver of Valentine's Day. The sacred building was rebuilt in the 15th century - nowadays there is still a winged altar in late-Gothic style while the choir was completely painted with scenes from the Old Testament in the past.
A legend tells that once upon a time a bull raged on the hills above the hamlet of San Valentino until it found a bell buried in the soil. That bell, still known as the "The Bull of San Valentino", was brought to the church. It is told that still nowadays the bell protects the inhabitants from severe thunder storms and is therefore feared by the legendary Sciliar Witches.
Despite careful control we cannot guarantee the correctness of the provided data.
Admission with guided tour: € 5 per person