The history of the St. Peter and Paul Parish Church with its separated steeple dates back to the 12th century.
Image gallery: Castelrotto Parish Church
In the village centre of Castelrotto (Kastelruth), more precisely on the Piazza Kraus square, there's the Parish Church with its steeple which can be seen from afar. It's a rarity due to the fact that the classicistic Church Steeple of Castelrotto is separated from the church itself. It is said that its bells have got the most beautiful pealing.
The "Dome on the Mountain", how the church is called by locals, was mentioned for the first time in written documents in 1190 AD and was consecrated to the Apostles Peter and Paul. Its external appearance shows the classicistic Vienna engineer style of the mid 19th century - the church was reconstructed in the years between 1838 and 1845 according to plans by the Wiener Hofbaurat (Vienna Court Councilor for buildings).
In the interior, the church is divided by six pillars into three naves. The impressive altarpiece depicts the Assumption of Mary, a work of art by the Swiss painter Melchior Paul von Deschwanden dating back to 1851. Also the nave and the vault got beautiful wall paintings.
- Piazza Kraus / Krausplatz 1 - 39040 - Castelrotto/Kastelruth
- +39 0471 706380
Despite careful control we cannot guarantee the correctness of the provided data.
Church service in German language Sundays at 10 am, in Italian language, from the end of July to the end of August, Sundays at 11.30 am.