In San Vigilio, a small hamlet belonging to the municipality of Castelrotto, a little church is located at the edge of a gorge
In a hollow between Fiè allo Sciliar (Völs am Schlern) and Castelrotto (Kastelruth), in close vicinity to the Golf Club San Vigilio Siusi, there's the small settlement of San Vigilio. Here, right at the southern slope of the Laranza Forest and in the valley of the Rio Freddo brook, the little name-giving church rises: the St. Vigilius Church. It is dedicated to Saint Vigilius of Trento (San Vigilio, in Italian), the patron saint of miners.
The Roman St. Vigilius Church was mentioned for the first time in 1353. After being destroyed by a landslide, the sacred building was rebuilt in Gothic style in the 15th century with the support of the Lords of Hauenstein and Salegg. The three bells of the church are still rung today in honour of the Virgin Mary, St. Vigilius and St. Cassian.
Several coats of arms adorn the outer walls - on the northern wall, however, a "Salvan" is depicted, a wild man. In its interior, we highlight the beautiful winged altar with the Virgin Mary, St. Vigilius and St. Nicholas (1872 AD) as well as the stone altar dating back to the 15th century.
open by appointment only