The Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary with its onion-shaped steeple stands in the middle of the village square.
Image gallery: Fiè allo Sciliar Parish Church
At the highest point of Fiè di Sotto, in the middle of the village square located on a little hill, rises the Parish Church of Fiè allo Sciliar (Völs am Schlern). The church was mentioned for the first time in 1170 AD as a big Romanesque building. After a fire it was rebuilt in the 15th century in Gothic style - further reconstructions followed in the 16th and 18th century when the church obtained its widely visible onion-shaped steeple.
The outside of the building presents itself in the late Gothic style, its interior, however, combines elements of all building epochs. Worth seeing is above all the winged altar from the 15th century by Master Narziss from Bolzano. The artfully decorated Baroque pulpit with its two angels dates back to the year 1774, whilst the Rococo organ was built around 1760 by the Tyrolean organ builder Ignaz Franz Wörle.
A valuable Romanesque crucifix from the Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary is exhibited at the adjacent Parish Museum of Fié. The sacred building is open to the public - church services are regularly held (Saturdays at 7 pm and Sundays at 10 am).
Despite careful control we cannot guarantee the correctness of the provided data.
Church service (in German language) Sundays at 10 am.