We recommend you to strictly stick to the regulations when driving in Italy, as in the event of an infringement, there are harsh penalties.
* in town: 50 kmph
* on country roads: 90 kmph
* on freeways: 110 kmph
* on motorways: 130 kmph (except on the Brennero motorway)
* 0.5 per mil (penalty of min. 530.00 Euros - updated in 2017)
Colours of the parking spaces:
* white: parking for free (parking meter)
* blue: parking subject to fees
* yellow: parking only for authorized people
Further information for drivers:
* The reflective vest is obligatory for Italy since 2004, so be sure to bring it along with you so that you have it ready for an emergency.
* The dim light is obligatory for all vehicles at day and night, except in town driving.
* Caution: on the Brennero motorway (section Brennero - Bolzano Sud), the speed limit is still 110 kmph, not 130 kmph, as usually on Italian motorways.
* It is obligatory to let pedestrians walk on the cross-walk.
* Also pedestrians, if conspicuously drunken, can be stopped and corrected by the police.
* In case of winter conditions (snow, mud, ice) cars must have winter equipment (winter tyres or snow chains). This regulation is constantly valid. Furthermore, the obligation of winter equipment is continuously valid on the Brennero motorway (Brennero - Affi) and in the municipal area of Bolzano every year from November 15 to April 15.
* Wildlife accident: Since November 2019, a wildlife accident must also be reported to the responsible authorities (e.g. Forestry Station Renon, phone: +39 0471 356229, Silandro, phone: +39 0473 736130, or Brunico, phone: +39 0474 582230) if the wild animal was only hit in order to be able to initiate a control search. Previously, this was only the case if the wild animal died as a result of the accident.
General useful information:
* Smoking in public buildings and rooms has been banned on July 1, 2005. The penalties amount up to 2,000 Euros. Exceptions are few taverns that offer separate smoking rooms, and need to meet different criteria.
* Those who buy faked brand-name products expects severe fines.
* Smoking of hemp and driving under influence leads to the driver’s license revocation. It is complained to the police.
Here you can check the current traffic situation online (in German language).