The little St. Catherine Church in the eponymous hamlet of Santa Caterina, located at approx. 900 m a.s.l., dates back to the year 1293.
In the hamlet of Santa Caterina (St. Kathrein), which belongs to the municipality of Fiè allo Sciliar (Völs am Schlern), rises a little church surrounded by some farmsteads and houses. This St. Catherine Church was mentioned for the first time in 1293 AD. First dedicated to St. Michael - through the fact that nearby there is the Michaeler Farm - the little church was consecrated two centuries later to Saint Catherine of Alexandria, also known as St. Catherine of the Wheel.
The sacred building is known for its beautiful and colourful frescoes dating back to the 15th century. They can be admired on the southern exterior wall and tell the legend of the Christian martyr Catherine, daughter of the King of Alexandria. Arranged in two rows, each one boasting six pictures, her indictment in front of Emperor Maximinus and her martyrdom as well as the construction of the St. Catherine Monastery on Mount Sinai by Emperor Justinian in 557 AD are depicted.
The original Romanesque church was enlarged in the 15th century by a Gothic choir with steeple. The nave, however, was provided with a stellar vault.
guided church tours are offered on individual days
> from 4.10 pm to 5.10 pm
> 3rd and 17th June
> July - August every Monday
> 2nd, 16th and 30th September
> 21st October
> 23rd and 30th December