In the middle of fields and meadows there’s the idyllic “Kristanzen” church, how the St. Constantine Church is called by the locals.
On a small porphyry hill near San Costantino (St. Konstantin), a hamlet belonging to Fiè allo Sciliar (Völs am Schlern), there's the St. Constantine Church. The sacred building with its beautiful bulbous spire can be seen from afar. It was mentioned for the first time in 1281 AD.
The walls of the nave and the lower part of the steeple date back to the Romanesque era, whereas the choir, the reticulated vault and the lancet windows are Gothic elements. They were realised during restoration works in 1506, commissioned by Leonard from Fiè. The high altar and the onion-shaped roof, however, are Baroque style elements.
The beautiful altar painting was reproduced after the orginal, made by the Austrian artist Joseph Adam Knight of Mölk (1718 - 1794), was stolen. It depicts the church patron, Constantine the Great, as well as the coat of arms of the Lords of Fiè. At the top of the high altar St. Helena is portrayed, the mother of Constantine. The little church, surrounded by meadows and with the impressive Sciliar massif in the background, is a popular place for wedding ceremonies.