The old Siusi allo Sciliar Parish Church dates back to the 17th century and is still a popular pilgrimage site.
Image gallery: Mary Help of Christians Church
In the 17th century, more precisely in 1648 AD, a Baroque church was built in the village centre of Siusi allo Sciliar (Seis am Schlern). First it served as succursal church, then as pilgrimage church and finally as parish church. The steeple with its fine, red tiles, the round-arched two-light windows and the four gargoyles, however, is still reminiscent of the Gothic style. The sacred building was consecrated in 1657 to Mary Help of Christians.
14 Way of the Cross stations depict the Passion of Christ - on their frames the so-called Arma Christi, the Instruments of the Passion, are affixed. It is said that the altar and a bell of the Mary Help of Christians Church originate from the chapel of the Salego Ruin, located in the heart of the Castelvecchio forest near Siusi. When a street was built in the 19th century to make the Alpe di Siusi area accessible, the number of inhabitants increased and a new parish church replaced the little Mary Help of Christians Church in 1937: the Holy Cross Parish Church.
At the end of the 20th century the church was renovated and equipped with an organ by the Italian organ builder Barthélemy Formentelli. Today as in the past it is a popular pilgrimage site, especially in the month of May when the special services to St. Mary are held.
daily from 9 am to 6 pm