In Saltria, on the Siusi Alp at more than 2,000 m a.s.l., there’s a beautiful little chapel dating back to 1857 AD
In 1857, Karl von Zallinger-Stillendorf from Bolzano had a little church built, made of limestone ashlar: the Zallinger Chapel. One year later the sacred building was inaugurated. The Neo-Gothic chapel was dedicated to the Virgin Mother and owes its name to the eponymous mountain pasture. The Zallinger Pasture, also known as Sassegg Pasture, is located at 2,037 m a.s.l. on the foot of Mt. Sasso Piatto, a 2,969 m high peak in the Sassolungo Group in the Dolomites.
In occasion of the 100th and 150th anniversary of the chapel, it was renovated, and then again in 2007. Nowadays it represents the highest located church in South Tyrol where Holy Masses are held. One of the big celebrations is the Feast of the Immaculate Conception on August 15.
The Zallinger Chapel is accessible all-the-year, inside there's a commemorative plaque in memory of its constructor. Also for wedding celebrations the little church is a popular venue. Nearby there's the eponymous mountain hut.
- Saltria/Alpe di Siusi / Saltria/Seiser Alm - 39040 - Siusi allo Sciliar / Seis am Schlern
- +39 0471 706380