At Sant’Osvaldo, a small hamlet belonging to Castelrotto, there is the romantic Castel Rovereto which is overgrown with ivy.
Castel Rovereto is situated on the top of a precipitous rocky promontory above the gorge of the Rio Nero in the hamlet of Sant’Osvaldo. It is located adjacent to the Pflegerhof farm, known in South Tyrol for its organically grown spices and herbs. Only few details are known regarding the history of the castle. Castel Rovereto has been mentioned for the first time in the 12th century, associated with the Lords of Aichach. After the last members of this family died after fierce quarrels with the Lords of Castelrotto, in 1741 the castle passed on in the hands of the Lords of Castelrotto. The reason for decay is, however, still unknown. Already in 1618 the historian Max Sittich von Wolkenstein reported from the “Ruin of Castel Rovereto”.
The complex is relatively small and only remains of the access side and the open tower are left. What is characteristic are its dovetail crenels, which are not typical for the architectural style of the Valle Isarco. Today inside the ruin there is a playground with slide and swing, accessible the whole year round.